How to Register
THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR YOUR SCHOOL’S REGISTRAR. BE SURE TO READ THE REMINDERS ON OUR MAIN REGISTRATION PAGE PRIOR TO READING THESE INSTRUCTIONS
- Have your team’s coach sign the School Permission Letter, and then take it to your school’s principal/assistant principal for his/her approval for MIST and for lettering. More information about Lettering Criteria
- Your MIST team must be open to all who are interested in joining from your school, Muslim or otherwise.
- Your team should not include anyone from outside of your school.
- Advertise MIST throughout your MSA and try to get as many members from your school to join your MIST team.
- Allow each student to go through the Category Overview and individual rules for each competitive event in order to choose which events to compete in
- Rules can be printed off www.getmistified.com and made into packets for the students, or posted by the sign up sheet in your coach’s classroom.
- Make sure each student knows that they may sign up for only one competitive event from each of the five Categories. This means each student has the option of signing up for one Art competition, one Writing & Oratory competition, one Knowledge & Qur'an competition, one Bracket competition, and one Group Project competition.
- No more than two (2) students per school may sign up for each of the competitive events with the exception of the group competitions, MIST Bowl, Improv, and Basketball. You must keep track of this on the Team Registration Form to prevent confusion.
- In the case of more students wanting to compete in a competition, determine who will sign up for the competition through a mini-competition you host among interested students. This will give your group something exciting to do. Otherwise, students can decide among themselves who will register for that particular competition.
- Print out copies of the Signature Page for each student on your team. First, have each student sign their form. Then, collect the forms and have your team’s coach sign each of them. Give the forms back to the students so they can get their parent/guardian signatures. Remind students to give their coach’s contact information to their parents. After these signatures are complete, collect all forms and show them to your coach so that he/she can see the signatures and verify which students he/she will be supervising at MIST. These forms must then be mailed to your regional headquarters prior to the late registration deadline. Students risk disqualification if their signature page is not submitted.
- After each student knows which competitions(s) they will be competing in and have also completed their signature page, their information must be entered on the online registration application, Adderpit (starting from the region's opening registration date).
- Students may not under any circumstances change their mind once the team registration application has received a coach’s approval and is officially submitted online. If the student decides to go ahead and not participate in the competition they originally registered for, their team will receive a zero for that competition, which will affect the Team Average. Make sure students register for competitions that they will participate in.
- Determine a date when all team members should have signed up for their competitions and paid their registration fees online. Only once all team members have signed up and paid can the Registrar submit the team registration for a coach’s approval.
- Students will not be able to register after the late registration date. Online registration will become inactive. Please refer to your region’s online registration dates.
- A few weeks before the tournament, MIST will send each coach and registrar a Confirmation Letter that will confirm all the student’s registration information and the competitions they have registered for. If a mistake has been made, the competitor, Coach, or Registrar must contact MIST immediately via email.
- No excuses, such as “My coach registered me for this competition and I didn’t know about it”, “I didn’t register for this competition”, or any others will be accepted once the tournament has started. The reason we send out the confirmation letters is so you can confirm that you’ve registered for the competitions in the letter. If we don’t hear from you in regards to your registration after we’ve sent the confirmation letters, we will assume that you and your team have no mistakes to report.
Online Registration Process
ONLINE REGISTRATION INSTRUCTIONS- REGISTRAR SHOULD PRESENT RELEVANT INFORMATION TO BOTH STUDENTS AND COACHES ON THEIR TEAM
With the MIST registration process online, teams can register faster, easier, and smoother. To learn how to navigate the registration system read over the following tutorial. If you have any further questions or cannot register online, contact your regional Registration Chair.
Before your team begins to register online, please review the registration rules above. It is suggested that the team complete the Pre-Registration forms posted. These forms will help keep the team organized when it comes time to register online.
What’s my Role?
The registration process will differ based on an individual’s role on the team. The three roles are coach, Registrar, and competitor. Here’s an overview of each role:
- Coach: This is an individual 21 years of age or more that will serve as the team’s chaperone during the tournament. Unless otherwise indicated by your Regional Registration Chair, each team is allowed one coach free of registration charge.
- Each team needs one.
- Previously known Registration-In-Charge.
- Can be a competitor on the team, the team coach, or any parent affiliated with the team.
- Needs to make sure that competitors are registered in a timely manner and signed up for the correct competitions.
- Can organize and make any changes to the competitions that team members are signed up for.
- Must be an individual of maturity, responsibility, and organization.
- Competitor: Any team member registered for a competition is considered a competitor. The team Registrar can also be a competitor.
Creating a Username
· Step 1: Make sure your school Registrar emails your Regional Registration Chair to obtain a “School Code." Then, he/she must create a username (see steps 2-3) and send an email invitation to every student and coach on his/her team with the school code.
· Step 2: To register for a MIST tournament each individual on the team and the coach must create a MIST username at https://web.adderpit.com/MIST. In order to create a username you must have a unique valid, working email address. Only one username can be created per email address.
· Step 3: Once you have submitted your request for a username, an email will automatically be sent to you to confirm your request and give you a password.
You will be able to use the same username each year to sign up for tournaments.
How to Navigate Through Your MIST Account
Once you have signed into your MIST account you will notice a task chart on the bottom under the My Tasks heading. Again, this chart will differ depending on your role on the team (competitor, Registrar, or coach). As you complete each task, the red “x” under the completed? column of the chart will become a green “check”. To complete each task you can click on the task name.
There are various tabs at the top of each page. The “Home” tab will return you to the task chart. The “Team” tab will allow you to see all individuals registered for your team. The “Registration” tab will give competitors a summary of the competitions which they are signed up for.
Step 1: Registrar creates the team and invites team members and coach to the team.
a. This step is only for the team Registrar who needs to create the team. This can be done by clicking on the Create a Team task. When creating the team, the “Team Name” should be different from the high school name (ex. school name is Alexander High School and team name is Alexander Kings. Once the Registrar has created the team, the competitor and coach will notice that Team Created under their task chart has become a green check.
b. The Registrar needs to invite team members to the team. This can be done by clicking on the task Invite Team Members. Once you click on it, you will be asked to enter the names and email addresses of your team members into a field one at a time. Once the Registrar invites team members, all invited individuals will be sent an automatic invitation email. They will then be able to create a MIST username.
c. The Registrar needs to invite the coach to join the team. This can be done by clicking on the task Invite Coach in the task menu.
Step 2: The coach, Registrar, and competitors all need to join the team.
Once the Registrar has completed Step 1 the team has been created and all team members and the coach have been invited. The next step is for all invited individuals to create a username, if they have not yet done so, and join the team. This can be done by clicking the task Join a Team under the task chart. Registrars need to approve or deny each individual who joins the team. Click on the “Teams” tab on the top of the page. Here you will be able to view any pending applications. Once the green check appears next to this task on the task chart this step has been completed.
Step 3: All competitors need to register for competitions.
Once you have joined the team, it is time to register for your competitions. (If you are not a competitor, you must be registered as a guest through your registrar.) The coach does not need to complete this step. You can register for competitions by clicking on the task Register for Competitions under the task chart. Pick the competitions you will be competing in by choosing them from the appropriate drop down menu. Make sure that your team is on the same page when it comes to who is competing in what.Remember that only two individuals per team can compete in any given competition other than group projects and Islamic Scholastic Bowl. After two individuals have signed up for a competition from your team, the system will not allow you to register for that competition. You may make changes to the competitions you are signed up for up until the team registration is sent to the coach for approval by the Registrar (Step 7).
Step 4: Register any guests.
This step is optional and does not need to be completed if you do not plan on bringing any guests to the tournament. If you do choose to bring a guest to the entire tournament, then click on Register Guests under the task chart. Enter in the first and last names for all your guests. Please note that you must pay the registration fee for your guests when you pay your own registration fee. Guests cannot create a username and pay for themselves.
Step 5: All competitors must pay for the registration fees for themselves and any guests they may have UNLESS other arrangements or payment options have been made by teams and/or the Regional Registration Chair.
It is extremely important that all competitors pay their registration fees in a timely manner. It is highly recommended that the team Registrar sets a date for all competitors to have paid their registration fees by. Remember, if you are bringing any guests, you must pay for their fee at the same time you pay for yours. To pay your fee, click on Pay Registration Fees under the task chart. You can pay online by check or credit card. You do not need a Paypal account yourself to register. However, if you do have an existing account, you can choose to pay through it. Please note that until all competitors have paid for their fees, the registration process can go no further. In order to complete Steps 6 & 7 all competitors must have paid their fees. By not paying your fee, you could hold up your team’s registration from being approved and therefore cause it to be late. Again, students should check with their teams or Regional Registration Chair to see if other payment options or arrangements are available.
Step 6: Registrar needs to coordinate the team registration.
This step is only for the Registrar and can only be completed once all team members have paid their fees. As mentioned, it is suggested that the Registrar sets a date for all team members to have registered for their competitions and paid their fees by. At any point during the process, the Registrar can view all the competitions that each team member is signed up for. This can be done by clicking on Coordinate Registration in the task chart. It is the Registrar’s responsibility to ensure that everyone is correctly signed up. The Registrar has the ability to make any changes to the competitions that team members are signed up for (however it is suggested that this is done with the team’s consensus). Once the team registration most accurately reflects the decisions of the team, the Registrar should move to Step 7.
Step 7: Registrar requests the coach’s approval for the team registration.
This step is only for the Registrar. Once the competitions are correct, submit the team’s registration for the coach’s approval. Click on Request Coach Approval in the task chart. Once you submit the request for approval the registration process for your team is temporarily frozen. No changes can be made to any of the competitions. (If the Registrar is a student and not the coach, it is suggested that you let the coach know you have requested their approval).
Step 8: Coach needs to approve or deny the team registration.
This step is for the coach; however it is highly recommended that the Registrar is familiar with this step as well. Once the coach has received the request for approval from the Registrar there will be a green check next to the Receive Team Registration task on their task menu. To approve or deny the team registration click on Approve Team Registration. By approving the team registration, the registration process will effectively and permanently end for the team and no changes can be made. By denying the team registration, the registration will unfreeze and bounce back to the Registrar who can then make any necessary changes. Once that is complete the Registrar should resubmit the team registration for the coach’s approval.
Step 9: Registration is complete!
After the coach approves the team registration the process is finally complete. Under the task chart Team Registration Approved should have a green check next to it. A few weeks before the tournament, the Registrar and coaches will receive a confirmation letter.